Calling all spoken word artists 18 years or older – be a part of the Jazz in the Gardens National Poetry Competition!
A Jazz in the Gardens Initiative – City of Miami Gardens
SUBJECT MATTER: HOW BLACK MUSIC CHANGED THE WORLD #BLACKMUSICMATTERS #BLACKMINDSMATTER
Now – February 24, 2017: Contest Entries Accepted
March 16, 2017: Poetry in the Gardens Finals IN MIAMI, FLORIDA
Judging: February 27 – March 3, 2017
Finalists announced: March 3, 2017
Now through February 24, 2017, upload your best work via Facebook or YouTube, and complete the submission form below. Use the hashtags #JITG17, #PoetryJITG, and #BlackMusicMatters.
Eligible finalists must attend the Poetry in the Gardens finals on Thursday March 16, 2017.
1st – $10,000 • 2nd – $3,500 • 3rd – $1,500
To submit entries visit | http://www.jazzinthegardens.com/poetry/.
POETRY COMPETETION GUIDELINES
- You must be at least 18 years old or older to compete in the poetry slam contest.
- You may only submit one (1) performance in video format.
- Use the hashtags: #JITG17; #PoetryJITG; #BlackMusicMatters
- All entries must be received by midnight February 20, 2017.
- No performance should last longer than two to three minutes.
- Each poet must perform work that s/he has created.
- No props; no costumes; no white clothing.
- No musical instruments or pre-recorded music.
- Your work may be shown on our website. We will give you full credit for your work.
- All submissions must have a title; if you do not title your work, it will not be considered.
- Poems/Poets will be evaluated based on the following categories:
- Physical Presence
- Voice and Articulation
- Appropriateness of Dramatization
- Level of Difficulty
- Evidence of Understanding
- Overall Performance